Do You Know What The Six Flags Of Texas Are
Yes, it's one of several amusement parks but, do you know where the term originated and what the 6 flags are?
Since the 1500s, Texas has been under the rule of 6 different governments. The Texas Visitors Center near Anthony used to fly all 6 flags but, changed them to only United States and Texas state flags. I don't know why but, in light of the recent political climate, I'm guessing someone was offended by one/all of them.
I don't know that for sure but, before that part of history gets erased completely, here's the rundown:
- Spain. Texas was first occupied by the Spanish and were here over two eras; 1519-1685 and 1690-1821.
- France. They weren't here long, 1685-1690. Spain chased them off to prevent them from adding to the land they acquired in the Louisiana Purchase.
- Mexico. Another "short and sweet" occupation but, probably the most active and violent one. Mexico ran off the Spanish while also fighting American Indians and incoming settlers. The most famous battle, fought at the Alamo, was a total defeat for the Texans but rallied them to fight even harder for ... and eventually win ... independence from Mexico.
- Texas. Yep, Texas had its own flag for a minute, between 1836 and 1845. After defeating Mexico, Texas became a republic. In 1839, a flag design was agreed on which still flies today as the Texas state flag.
- The U.S.A. (Pt. 1) In 1845, constant battles with Mexico and American Indians, political woes, and a failing economy led Texas to become the 28th state. That relationship didn't last though ...
- The Confederacy. Texas seceded from the USA during the Civil War with the flag of the Confederate States of America flying over Texas from 1861-1865.
- The U.S.A. (Pt. 2) Following the Civil War, Texas rejoined the union for good.