Weekly East Texas Road Construction Update
A forecast of beautiful weather means that road construction projects will be ramping up across the area once again. Here's a listing of what you can expect in the 9 county region served by the Lufkin District of the Texas Department of Transportation.
- BU 59/North Timberland Drive: Crews will continue working to construct a new railroad bridge and construct northbound lanes. Steel girders are being placed that require road closures. Southbound lanes are open to two-way traffic. Motorists should be alert through the project to moving equipment, workers and changing traffic patterns.
- US 59: Cement has been placed to widen southbound lanes and construction crews are scheduled to place concrete on newly constructed widened northbound lanes. Concrete has been set on half of East Spradley Street and plans to set concrete on the remaining half of the roadway are scheduled in coming days. Westbound exit ramps are now open.
- US 59 North: Crews are removing and replacing metal beam guard fence from 2.5 miles south of Rusk County to the Angelina County line.
- FM 95: Safety work continues as crews widen the roadway from US 59 to the Rusk County line.
- FM 95: Detours are being set at Parallel Creek and Dog Creek as crews begin bridge work.
- FM 1648: Crews will work to rehabilitate the roadway from FM 343 to SH 204.
- FM 1878: Starr Avenue has been reopened to traffic and crews continue to perform signal adjustments.
- US 190: Construction crews will continue to work on widening sections of the roadway to add passing lanes and entries to driveways and side roads.
- US 190/FM 350 North: Workers will replace driveway entries.
- FM 1988: Crews will place embankment for side headers and set deck panels for the new bridge at Long King Creek.
- Livingston State Park: Crews will continue to reconstruct camp loops and parking areas at Yaupon and Red Oak Camp. Access to both loops is closed.
- US 287/FM 132: Construction crews will begin working this week to safety treat fixed objects from 2.1 miles of FM 2663 to just south of SL 304. The project will continue from the end of the pavement on FM 132 to SH 7. The $1.6 million project is expected to be completed in about five months.
- US 287 North: Maintenance crews will work from the Grapeland County line to the Anderson County line repairing base and spot sealing pavement.
- SH 21: Construction crews will work from FM 1280 in Austonio to SH 7 in Crockett to mill and cement treat pavement, haul base and construct culvert extensions. Motorists should expect lane closures throughout the project.
- SH 7: Work will continue with widening the roadway, adding passing lanes and shoulders as drainage structures are constructed throughout the project and mulch seeding will continue in the right of way. Expect lane closures.
- SH 21 East: Crews will repair base pavement on SH 21 from Belott to FM 1733.
- SL 304: Maintenance work is scheduled from Crockett High School to FM 2022 to repair road base and spot seal pavement.
- FM 227 West to FM 2544: Maintenance crews will be leveling pavement.
- FM 227: Construction will begin to replace the bridges and approaches at Hickory Creek and Hickory Creek Relief.
- CR 3480: Steel pilings are being set for the replacement of the off-system bridge at Big Creek Tributary. The bridge remains closed.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Construction crews will be working at the overpass at FM 2914 placing lime for new main lanes and setting forms for southbound bridge decking.
- US 59: Maintenance crews will work to repair, clean and straighten signs, delineators and mailboxes.
- US 190: Construction crews will continue to mill and resurface existing pavement.
- SH 156: Maintenance crews will work to mill and repair existing pavement.
- SH 150: Workers will replace delineators and mailboxes at various locations.
- FM 946: Contractors will be trimming limbs and removing dead trees from right-of-ways.
- Crews will begin this week on US 287 in Groveton removing old concrete pavement and replacing it with hot mix. The $4.5 million project is set to rehabilitate and reconstruct US 287 in Groveton from Harrison Street to Vickery Street. Smith & Company, contractors for the project, are scheduled to complete the work late this year, weather permitting. Motorists should be prepared for delays as they travel through Groveton. Flaggers could be directing traffic as slow-moving equipment works through the project. Expect alternating lane closures, stay alert to detours and construction signage and obey speed limits. Traffic fines double when workers are present.
- SH 94: Maintenance crews will be leveling pavement in several locations.
- Various locations: Crews will work on signs, patch potholes and apply herbicide.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96: Work is planned to reconstruct the pavement and add passing lanes from the Shelby County line to FM 3451.
- SH 21: Crews will safety treat guard fence and replace metal beams from SH 147 to FM 1, US 96 from FM 83 to the Jasper County line and on FM 1175 from the end of pavement to FM 83.
- FM 705: Work continues to improve guardrails from SH 147 to the end of pavement.
- US 96: Construction crews are placing surface pavement from 1.4 miles north of SH 87 to just south of SH 7.
- US 84: Construction continues to remove the old westbound bridge at the Texas/Louisiana state line while two-lane traffic is diverted onto the newly constructed eastbound bridge.
- FM 139: Construction crews continue work to improve guardrails and cross drainage structures from SH 7 to SH 87.
- CR 4323: Contractors have completed constructing the Flat Fork Creek, Relief 1 and 2 bridge decks and the bridge at Mill Creek near Tenaha. Work continues on the bridge approaches and guardrail for the bridges at Flat Fork and Mill Creek.
- SH 21: Maintenance crews will work to level pavement.
- FM 1: Crews will set barricades and begin work to widen the surface width from SH 184 to SS 1.