Five Deep East Texas Baseball Teams Are Keeping State Hopes Alive
Only Sixteen Teams Remain
We've reached the Regional Semifinals Round in the UIL High School Baseball Playoffs. That means there are only sixteen teams left in each conference vying for a date at the State Baseball Tournament. In Class 1A, we're down to the final eight, as teams are getting set for their regional championship games.
A handful of teams from the Pineywoods are still alive in the playoffs and playing their best baseball of the year.
The Tigers are ranked 5th in the state in Class 1A. Kennard is trying to make the State Tourney for the 3rd straight year. In 2021, the Tigers advanced to the championship game. Last year, they were eliminated in the State Semifinal game.
The Tigers are hoping to get another crack at the trophy, but first, they'll have to defeat Leverett's Chapel in a 3-game series in Rusk
Kennard vs Leverett's Chapel
Douglass vs Beckville
- Game 1, Thursday, May 25, 6 p.m. in Carthage
- Game 2, following Game One
- Game 3 (if necessary), Saturday, May 27, at Nacogdoches HS, time TBD
Central Heights Blue Devils
Central Heights is also an East Texas team that year in and year out has a quality baseball program. Deep runs in the playoffs are nothing new for Central Heights. The Blue Devils brought home a Class 3A State Championship in 2017.
Central Heights, who is ranked 5th in the state in Class 3A, eliminated 4th-ranked Orangefield last week. Now, the Blue Devils will take on Maypearl in the Regional Semifinal Game.
Central Heights vs Maypearl Panthers
- Game 1, Friday, May 26, 7 p.m. at Mike Carter Field in Tyler
- Game 2, Saturday, May 27, 2 p.m. at Whitehouse HS
- Game 3 (if necessary), to follow Game 2
Garrison is looking to make their third straight trip to the UIL State Baseball Tourney. They reached the championship game in 2021 and the semifinal game last year.
The Bulldogs are ranked number 7 in the state, while Harleton is in the top 15. However, the Wildcats have one of the best records in the state. Neither team has lost a game in their current playoff runs.
Garrison vs Harleton
- Game 1, Thursday, May 25, 7 p.m. at ETBU in Marshall
- Game 2, Saturday, May 25, 1 p.m. at Gary High School
- Game 3 (if necessary), following Game 2
The Lumberjacks are trying to make back-to-back appearances at the state tournament. Diboll lost by one run in the State Semifinal game a year ago.
The 'Jacks finished 3rd in the extremely tough District 21-3A. Their next opponent, West, finished 3rd in a very tough district as well (17-3A). In fact, the champions from those two districts (Central Heights and Maypearl) are battling each other as highlighted earlier.
Diboll Lumberjacks vs West Trojans
- Game 1, Wednesday, May 24, Sam Houston State in Huntsville, 7 p.m.
- Game 2, Thursday, May 25, at Madisonville, 7 p.m.
- Game 3 (if necessary), Saturday, May 27, at Madisonville, 7 p.m.