TxDOT Updates Road Construction Projects Around East Texas
Road crews with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) are keeping busy across East Texas as they continue work on existing projects and look to begin work on others.
On Thursday morning, Rhonda Oaks, Public Information Officer with Tx DOT, revealed that upgrades would start soon for South University Drive in Nacogdoches. Those upgrades are to be concentrated around the railroad tracks intersecting the roadway. Traffic will be detoured in that area. Also, major upgrades on First Street (SH 287) are expected to begin soon in Groveton in Trinity County.
Elsewhere, utility crews continue working to relocate utilities ahead of highway construction on US 59 and Loop 224 in Nacogdoches. Webber, contractor for the project, continues to work on the US 59/SL 224 westbound exit ramp as utility crews prepare nearby right of ways that will signal the advance of the project. Contractors are also preparing to begin construction on raised medians on US 59 for 1.2 miles south of SL 224 as part of the ongoing construction project.
Work is also scheduled to begin on a project that will widen Starr Avenue (FM 1878) near Stephen F. Austin State University. The road will be closed for the duration of the project that will add two lanes of travel along with widened sidewalks and curb and gutter throughout the project.
Other work scheduled throughout the nine county Lufkin District includes:
- US 59 and State Loop 287: Contractors will continue excavation on SL 287 eastbound. Beams will be set for U-turns, weather permitting and crews will work on embankment on the eastbound frontage road.
- Business 59 at A&NR Railroad Bridge: Work will continue on the replacement of the overhead railroad bridge as crews prepare to remove old concrete and continue placing retaining walls for a temporary bridge.
- US 59 at FM 2021: Crews will begin lime treatment and remove old concrete in the south end of the project.
- FM 706: Work will continue on box culvert extensions.
- SL 224 East: Crews are working on guard rails and culverts at various locations from US 59 South to SH 7 East.
- SH 204 near Cushing: Maintenance crews will work on repairing road base throughout the area.
- FM 225 near Lake Nacogdoches: Maintenance work to continue on road base repairs.
- US 287: Construction crews will continue placing asphalt on widened sections that will add turning lanes two miles west of US 59.
- US 59: Construction crews have completed work to plane, seal and resurface the southbound lanes one-half mile south of Milton Creek. Raised pavement markings remain to be placed, weather permitting.
- FM 1988 at Long King Creek: Construction crews are scheduled to begin placing drilled shafts to replace the bridge and its approaches.
- Kelly Road at Menard Creek: Crews will continue working to replace bridges over Menard Creek, Dickens Branch and Soda Loop that will include placing caps, wingwalls, backwalls and bridge abutments.
- SH 21: Work will begin setting barriers from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7 to reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes.
- SH 21: Maintenance crews will be doing level-up on the roadway edges, base and culvert joint repairs.
- FM 2967: Maintenance crews will work to rehabilitate culverts and level-up road base.
- FM 232: Maintenance workers will level-up road base and repair culvert joints.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59 at FM 2914: Contractors will continue to haul embankment and work to complete retaining walls at the overpass.
- Various locations: Crews will work to maintain ditches and culverts in various locations throughout the county, including US 59, SH 150, SL 424 and FM 1127.
- US 84 at the Sabine River: Construction crews will work to place concrete pavement on the Louisiana side of the TX/LA bridge. The eastbound decking has been completed and railing is being constructed.
- CR 4323: Construction crews are working on bridge approaches after completing the Flat Fork Creek and Mill Creek relief bridge decks near Tenaha.
- FM 139: Contractors continue to work from SH 7 to SH 87 to rehabilitate driveways, cross drainage structures and guardrails.
- FM 83: Maintenance crews will work to repair road base, weather permitting.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- SH 21 at US 96: Contractor crews are working to install concrete curb and gutter, sidewalks and driveways.
- SH 94: Crews will work on guardrails at White Rock Creek and Sandy Creek between Trinity and Groveton.
- SH 94: Crews will work on driveways between Groveton and the Angelina County line.