Traveling Over Thanksgiving? Here’s a List of Area Road Construction
You can already see an increase in daily traffic as we get closer and closer to the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend. As your traveling to friends and family or heading out to do some Christmas shopping, here's a list of current road construction projects courtesy of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
A $10 million construction project on SH 7 will continue as concrete for culvert extensions is scheduled to be poured in coming days that will reconstruct existing pavement and result in the addition of shoulders and passing lanes to the much traveled roadway. The project should be completed in about a year, weather permitting. The project length on SH 7 in Houston County includes just over 7 miles and ends at FM 2781 in Kennard.
Motorists are advised to slow down through the construction zone, obey all signage and prepare for delays as workers and heavy machinery work through the area.
Other project updates in the nine county Lufkin District include:
- BU 59: Contractors will continue to work on placing retaining walls and subgrade in the southbound lanes as the project moves toward replacing the railroad bridge.
- SL 287: Contractors will begin treating subgrade on the SL 287 eastbound main lanes beginning at the Moffett bridge and continuing westward. The bridge crew will continue to place deck panels on the recently placed U-turn bridge beams.
- US 59 at Redland: Lime treatments are scheduled and workers will place storm sewers for the southbound main lanes.
- SH 7 East: Maintenance base repairs
- FM 706: Contractor crews will continue safety treating fixed objects from US 69 to SH 103.
- Various locations: Street sweeping, debris removal.
- US 59: Contractors continue to work from SL 224 to 1.3 miles south of the loop on US 59 and on SL 224 from US 59 to SH 7 West. Work is scheduled to continue on the westbound exit ramp and crews are preparing the right-of-way on US 59 in advance of construction at Spradley Street to widen the roadway. Utility crews also continue to work through the area.
- SL 224/US 59: From SH 7 East to US 259 crews will continue to work on guard rails and culverts throughout the project at various locations.
- FM 1878: Construction on Starr Avenue from North Street to Clark Boulevard is scheduled to begin after Thanksgiving holiday as crews continue to relocate utilities.
- FM 1275: Railroad maintenance and edge and shoulder leveling.
- US 287: Crews are placing asphalt on driveways through the project that will add left and right turn lanes at the OSB plant entrance.
- FM 1988: Work will continue as crews place drill shafts to replace the bridge.
- Various locations: Crews will continue to work at Hubert Cemetery Road over Dickens Branch, at Kelly Road over Menard Creek to set beams for a new bridge and will complete pouring concrete at Soda Loop over Bluff Creek for a bridge replacement there.
- Various locations: Patching potholes, leveling of roadways and debris removal.
- SH 94: Contractors will continue to safety treat fixed objects, including work on guardrails at White Rock Creek and Sandy Creek from SH 19 to US 287 as well as from US 287 to 1.6 mile west of FM 358.
- FM 2262: Maintaining shoulders, patching and sign repair.
- US 287: Contractors are completing work to improve guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from Loop 304 to the Trinity County line.
- SH 21: Construction will continue as contractors frame for culvert extensions and pour concrete along the project area from FM 1280 to just east of FM 2967.
- SH 21 West: Maintenance crews will work to level up roadway
- FM 2967: Maintenance crews will level up roadway and do base repairs
- FM 232: Maintenance and repair on culvert joints
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59 at FM 2914: Crews will haul embankment and install retaining walls for the overpass.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will be working on drainage issues and cleaning culverts and ditches.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96 at Ayish Bayou: Contractors are preparing the shoulder of the road in preparation for construction of a new bridge.
- SH 21 at US 96: Contractors are installing concrete curb and gutter, sidewalk and finishing driveways through the project that redesigned the intersection.
- Various locations: Maintenance will work on debris removal.
- US 84 TX/LA bridge: The eastbound deck has been completed and the railing is being constructed. Concrete is being placed in Louisiana with First Avenue scheduled to open on the eastbound side within the week.
- Loop 500: Hot mix overlay from SH 7 to US 87.
- FM 139: Crews will be safety treating fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 87 including work on cross drainage structures, guardrails and driveways throughout the project.
- CR 4323: Contractors have completed constructing relief bridges for Flat Fork Creek. They are expected to continue work on the bridge approaches as weather permits.
- FM 2866: Leveling with motor grader.