‘Live From Lufkin’ Lineup Announced For Summer Fest
The voting is over, and East Texas music lovers have picked the lineup for the “Live From Lufkin” Battle of the Bands at Summer Fest Texas.
“Live From Lufkin” begins at 11 a.m. on the streets in downtown Lufkin. Bands will perform until 6:30 p.m., and concertgoers will use their smartphones to participate in on-site voting to determine the overall winner. The winning band will perform a victory set at 7 p.m. and receive $1,000. The second-place band will receive $500, and the third-place band will receive $250.
The eight bands competing are:
· * 11 a.m., Dirty Black Lungs: This all-acoustic three-piece from Lufkin performs earnest indie rock with a folk flavor, in the vein of Elliot Smith or Bright Eyes.
· * Noon, The Back 40 Band: This six-piece from the Bald Hill area delivers solid outlaw country with a heavy dose of Southern Rock sound.
· *1 p.m., Waiting For One: This all-acoustic three-piece from the Dallas/Fort Worth area performs originals, mixing classic rock, blues and outlaw country with plenty of vocal harmonies.
· *2 p.m., Redleter: This four-piece from Palestine plays Christian music, but there’s no chance you’ll confuse their heavy, Metallica-influenced metal sound for grandma’s gospel hymns.
· *3 p.m., Cherokee Outlaws: Four seasoned musicians from Alto perform original songs that borrow elements from Texas Country, Old Country and Southern Rock.
· *4 p.m., Kindred: This Nacogdoches five-piece plays Christian rock with a polished alternative sound, led by the expressive interplay between the lead guitar and the female lead singer.
· * 5 p.m., Downfall Rising: Led by a powerful female vocalist, this modern rock five-piece from Lufkin recently teamed up with a Grammy-winning producer to released their first EP.
· * 6 p.m., Green Light Pistol: This alternative/folk six-piece from Burleson features the harmonies of five siblings and delivers authentic roots music with a catchy pop flair.
After “Live From Lufkin,” the headline act, Son of a Sailor, will pay tribute to the original parrot head, Jimmy Buffett, from 8:30 to 10 p.m.
Doors open at10 a.m. Tickets are $15 and are available at the Lufkin Convention and Visitors Bureau, Lufkin Brookshire Brothers stores and online at www.easttexassummerfest.com.
Summer Fest Texas is sponsored by Brookshire Brothers, Townsquare Media, Y100, KSML, R&K Distributors, The Lufkin Daily News, Whataburger, Lamar Outdoor, Lufkin Printing, Verizon Wireless/Mobile Destination and Lufkin Coca-Cola.
For more information, visit www.easttexassummerfest.com, or call Tara Watson-Watkins at the Lufkin CVB at 936-633-0349.