East Texas Athletes Shine at UIL State Track and Field Meet
The 2016 UIL State Track and Field Meet is underway in Austin, Texas. Hundreds of athletes from across the Lone Star State are competing, and we're keeping tabs of the great performances turned in by some of our East Texas students-athletes.
Here's a running (no pun intended) list of East Texas athletes/teams who have finished in the top 8 at the state meet.
- Girls 3200 Meter Run 4A - Hudson junior Christina Hernandez takes 1st place with a time of 11.10.16 edging out the 2nd place finisher by less than a second.
- Girls Discus Throw 3A - Garrison's Lacey Lee launched the discus 120 feet, 10 inches, good for a 5th place finish.
- Boys 3200 Meter Run 2A - Representing the first class from Pineywoods Community Academy to make the state event, Cade Murry runs a time of 10.08.34 (a personal best) to take home 5th place overall.
- Girls Triple Jump 3A - Ashley Buck of Elkhart takes home 4th place honors with an effort of 36 feet, 9 inches.
- Girls Discus Throw 2A - Shelbyville athlete Bailey Rabalaus takes 8th place with a throw of 110 feet, 3 inches.
- Girls Shot Put 3A - Garrison's Lacey Lee brings in another medal with a 7th place finish. Her distance was 37 feet, 9 inches.
- Boys Triple Jump 3A - Crockett Bulldog DaMarkus Griffin gets a 5th place finish with an effort of 45 feet, 8.25 inches.
- Girls Long Jump 1A - Lillian Hollins from Apple Springs leaps 16 feet, 3.5 inches, good for 5th.
- Boys Shot Put 3A - Ladarius Hamilton of Corrigan-Camden got silver with an effort of 54 feet, 2 inches.
- Girls High Jump 1A - Hannah Moore of Mt. Enterprise jump of 5 feet, 4 inches was tied for top honors, but tiebreakers gives Moore a 2nd place finish. Outstanding job! Brittany Bobo of Douglass finished in a tie for 3rd with her effort 5 feet even.
- Girls High Jump 4A - Torie Comeaux of Huntington took 5th with a jump of 5 feet, 4 inches. She's a freshman so she's sure to have many more state medals in her future.
- Boys Shot Put 4A - Johnathon Marshall of Shepherd (and soon to be Arkansas Razorback football player) takes 5th with a heave of 54 feet, 3/4 inches.
- Boys Discus Throw 2A - Fred Thacker of Alto launches the discus 129 feet, 11 inches, good for a 7th place finish.
- Boys Triple Jump 1A - Neal Cord of Chester turns in a distance of 41 feet, 10.5 inches. That's good for a 5th place medal.
Feel free to send any free and clear photos for us to use at firstname.lastname@example.org